Moving from Product Sales to Solution and Outcome Sales – Houston Sales Leadership Community
Thank you to everyone that came out to the Houston Sales Leadership Community meeting on February 3rd.
It was a great opportunity to network, share and learn. The meeting included a panel discussion on “Moving from Product Sales to Solution and Outcome Sales”. The panel of executives from the community shared insights and perspectives on how their companies are transforming their sales organizations to meet the expectations of today’s buyers by moving from product sales to solution and outcome sales. We look forward to seeing you at the next meeting!
Who Was on the Panel?
- Kylie Ilieski from Siemens (Regional Sales Manager)
- Dave Levitt from LiquidFrameworks (Senior Vice President Worldwide Sales & Marketing)
- Werner Schaefer from Intel (Sales Vice President & General Manager Network Platforms & Communications Service Providers)
- Charlie Thackston from SOAR Performance Group (President)
Listen to or download the audio from the meeting:
Questions discussed at the event:
- When we met as a board group, this topic of moving from product to solution or outcome sales was selected as a priority. Why do you believe this is such a relevant topic?
- What are some of the initiatives that you have put in place to move towards solution or outcome based selling?
- What have you seen work well in this area and what have you seen be a challenge?
- Why do you believe customers want to buy in this way?
- What kinds of business results have you seen from initiatives focused on moving to more outcome based selling approaches?
- What recommendations would you make to other sales leaders as they think about moving to more outcome based selling approaches?
Some of the key insights shared by the panel:
- The move from product focused selling to solution and ultimately outcome oriented selling has 2 main drivers: prospects/customers and competitors
- Prospects and customers are demanding faster time to value which is increasing the focus on the outcome offered by potential supplier and reducing focus on product capabilities
- From a competitive perspective, all panelists agreed that there are more competitors moving faster than ever before. So any product advantages are short lived.
- Why is this such a compelling issue? Organizations that do not adapt this mindset and build the necessary organizational and individual capabilities required to execute outcome focused selling are at serious risk of losing existing customers as well as new prospects.
- However, executing on this approach is very challenging. Panelists cited a heavy focus on the ‘coolness’ of the technology vs. interest in customers business as a major limiting factor preventing sales teams from selling outcomes and business value.
- All agreed – the sales professional of the future will be ‘a business person with the title of sales’ not a ‘sales person’
- How have they dealt with this? Each of the panelists cited training for how to engage with customers in an outcome oriented, business first discussion as critical
- Specifically, leveraging techniques like whiteboarding and approaches like Value Creation Selling were highlighted as things that the panel had seen work
- The panel also suggested that an honest assessment of the capabilities of the sellers using a tool such as the Success Guide would be critical going forward
Finally, thank you to our hosts for the meeting, the University of Houston and SOAR Performance Group.
Why Should You Attend Future Meetings?
The meeting offers opportunities to:
- hear from other sales leaders to get their perspective on important topics you face within your company
- meet other sales leaders from the area to expand your personal and professional network
- connect with University of Houston students participating in the sales program to identify potential sales talent
- ask your questions to the panel (and group) to get further insights.
Who Might You See at Meetings?
Events include sales leaders and senior executives from top companies of all sizes and industries. Plus, there will be University of Houston students that are participating in the sales program (are you looking for some sales talent for your organization?) The meeting is open to practitioner sales leaders and invited guests. There is no cost to attend. Registration is required.
When Was the Meeting?
February 3, 2020 / 4:30pm – 6:00pm
Where Was the Meeting?
The University of Houston — Student Center South
About the Houston Sales Leadership Community
The Houston Sales Leadership Community was co-founded by the University of Houston and SOAR Performance Group to create a forum for best practice sharing and executive networking within the greater Houston area.
- The community is a cross-industry organization of senior sales leaders focused on building a community within the Houston market for advancing best practices in sales leadership.
- It also creates networking and mentoring opportunities for senior sales executives with University of Houston students participating in the sales program.
- The community is led by the advisory board with representatives from companies that represent different industries and go-to-market models.
- In addition to the meetings, the community also provides online options for participation through recordings and an online community.